The Mines of the Black Range

This section of this website deals with specific mines in the Black Range.  The links below draw heavily on the original Black Range website section on mining which is augmented by new material on this site.

For a variety of purposes, mines are grouped into “Mining Districts”. There were several mining districts in the Black Range.  The names of individual mines (and mining districts) changed over time, cross-references are provided when known.  Individual mines in the Black Range are listed on the pages dedicated to the following mining districts:

shapeimage_1

The Chloride Mining District is located west and north of the town of Chloride.  It was once known as the Apache Mining District.   Mines in this area were covered extensively by the Black Range newspaper in the late 1800’s.  This page is currently maintained on the original Black Range website.

The Cooke’s Peak Mining District (includes the Cooke’s Peak District, the Old Hadley District, the Graphic District, the Fluorite Ridge District, and the Starkey Group).

The Georgetown Mining District is located in the Mimbres Valley on the west side of the Black Range.  
This page is currently maintained on the original Black Range website.

The Minerals

When known, we list the minerals which were mined at each site and include links to a variety of references.  Since mines are about minerals, the minerals mined at each are listed.

But minerals are a sector of natural history and they are dealt with extensively in our associated sites.  The following links are to pages on the original Black Range website.


The Hermosa Mining District is located on the east side of the Black Range, north of the Hillsboro District and south of the Chloride District.  This page is currently maintained on the original Black Range website.

  • The Hermosa Mining District is where the Ingersoll Mine is located, on Bald Hill, west of Forest Road 157 and north of the North Fork of Percha Creek.  It is referenced heavily in The Spell of the Black Range.


The Hillsboro Mining District located northeast of the community of Hillsboro.

The Kingston Mining District is located on the east side of the Black Range, west of Hillsboro.  This page is currently maintained on the original Black Range website.

The Lake Valley, Macho, and Tierra Blanca Mining Districts are located in the southeast “corner” of the Black Range.  This page is currently maintained on the original Black Range website.

The Sierra Cuchillo Mining District is located south and east of the Chloride District.  Mines in this area were covered extensively by the Black Range newspaper in the late 1800’s.  This page is currently maintained on the original Black Range website.

The Taylor Creek Tin District is located west and north of the Chloride District.  This page is currently maintained on the original Black Range website.

A photograph gallery for mines in the Black Range is currently maintained on the original Black Range website.

The Black Range Newspaper regularly reported on mining activity in the area, but where were the mines.  Our listings of Mining Districts (esp. Chloride Mining District and Taylor Creek and Hermosa) include frequent references to articles in that newspaper. 

WHERE WERE THE MINES?

 The following map may help sort things out.  It is from page 261 of “The Ore Deposits of New Mexico (Professional Paper 68 of the United States Geological Survey)” published in 1910.

Note several things about this map:  1) The claims stretch end to end for miles, reflecting the veins which the miners were following and leading to many names for the same basic area; 2) The towns all seem to built along streams; 3) The towns tend to be built every three to five miles and are sometimes associated with a lot of claims in the immediate area, sometimes not; and 4) Getting from town to town was generally longer than the distance that the crow flies.

chloride mines


The Mining Districts were close together, which probably explains why they morphed in size over time.  The map below makes it easier to locate specific mines, the numbers within the arrows are the same as those in the mine key in the upper left of the graphic.

Where were the mines


Fairview is now named Winston, Robinson, Grafton, and Phillipsburg no longer exist.

How does this help with finding mines you may ask.  Well, it points to a common problem in finding mines, many times there are a lot of diggings in a very small area and coordinates (although official) given for mines in many references may be inaccurate.  Sometimes you simply have to say, this mine is on this hillside, there were a lot of claims, maybe some played out, maybe some never came to anything, maybe a number of them were grouped together and give a new name, maybe….


© Robert Barnes 2018